My dad, whose 61st birthday is TODAY, loves salty and sweet snacks. This is a man who goes to the gym for nearly 2 hours at a whack at least 4 times a week. Good for him to indulge every now and then!
So I made him a birthday treat! Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as he does!
- 1 bag of your favorite butter flavored microwave popcorn (I used Whole Foods 365 Brand)
- 1 cup M&M’s® brand milk chocolate candies
- 1 ½ cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup lightly salted peanuts
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- Prepare popcorn according to package directions. Remove all unpopped kernels. Spread popped corn evenly in 15×10-inch nonstick shallow baking pan. Sprinkle evenly with M&M’S® Brand Milk Chocolate Candies; set aside.
- Place sugar, butter, corn syrup and vanilla in medium heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly with wooden spoon. Add peanuts. Cook an additional 2 minutes or to the hard-crack stage, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add baking soda and mix well.
- Immediately pour caramel mixture evenly over popped corn and candy until coated. Do not stir. Let stand 30 minutes or until caramel has cooled and hardened.
- Break into pieces. Store in tightly sealed container.
*Hard crack stage, 300 to 310 degrees F on a candy thermometer, is when a small amount of boiling sugar syrup dropped into very cold water separates into hard brittle threads.