Happy Valentine’s Day!
Chicken and Escarole Soup
- 2 whole chicken breasts, bone in
- 3 boxes chicken stock (32 ounces each)
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 6 large celery ribs, diced
- 6 large carrots, diced
- 1 (8ounce) can of whole or diced tomato
- 2 heads of fresh escarole
- 1/2 pound of soup pasta (pastina)
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rub the chicken breasts with olive oil and place them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast the chicken for 35-40 minutes, until just cooked. Let cool slightly. Separate the meat from the bones and skin and cut in chunks.
- Wash the escarole very well. Escarole can be very sandy so take the time to wash it thoroughly.
- Put a large stockpot on the fire with all of the chicken broth, vegetables, and canned tomatoes.
- Chop the escarole. Add the chicken and the escarole to the pot. Add the soup pasta (pastina) and allow to simmer until the pasta is cooked, 5-7 minutes.
- Check the vegetables for doneness.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.