A Decision

A Decision

Last week was tough. We moved on Monday into our new home and Tuesday I went to weekly appointment with my OB who basically told me I was having a c-section.

After a lot of conversation, various opinions, and lots of lost sleep, T.J. and I have come to a decision on how G’s sister hopefully makes her arrival.

A c-section is not something we have decided for this baby at 39 weeks.

We have decided to wait and see. I have my weekly visit with my OB tomorrow at 10am with yet another ultrasound. (Only ever had two when pregnant with G.) At that point i’ll know what baby’s position will be which doesn’t really seem to matter to me since I will still have another eight days until my estimated due date.

Although my OB’s office has scheduled my surgery for Wednesday I am going to cancel it. I have a strong gut feeling that now that we are settled into our house and the move is over my body can relax and do what it needs to do. I need to trust my instincts and my instincts are telling me no surgery. I need to trust my body.

I do not have a high risk pregnancy, my blood pressure is damn near perfect, no diabetes or anything else that warrants a surgery other than my doctor trying to play some odds that don’t seem to be in my favor. That does not rest well with me.

I feel like if I should go into labor naturally and something goes horribly wrong where a c-section is the only way to keep and the baby safe, then great. But to just elect a surgery because of all these ‘could be’ worst case scenarios does not seem right.

Tomorrow I’m going to try and find another OB in my area of Connecticut since I no longer live in New York and put my mind at ease with a second opinion. Also get another appointment with the chiropractor and find an acupuncturist.

Did I mention at my appointment last week my doctor literally laughed out loud when I mentioned seeing a chiropractor and acupuncturist? That was a total turnoff. It’s fine if she doesn’t want to have faith in alternative medicine but to laugh it off right in my face?! That is not a doctor I want to continue a relationship with.

So, to be continued again and in the meantime I’m going to try and enjoy the fact that we moved into our own home. Our first home. My parents just headed back to Rhode Island today so this is our official first night together as a family in our home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


About Candice

Candice is a mom of three under 5. Originally from the smallest state of Rhode Island, now living in Connecticut. From working gal to stay-at-home mom, she is walking the path of the Modern Mom.

Comments

  1. I asked for a c section for my last baby, but my dr did a whole reconstruction after my son was born and neither him nor I wanted that work ruined. I found that female OB/GYNs are very condescending and rude, I much prefer a male.

    • I found that to be the case with female OB/GYNs as well–I had females with my daughter and HATED them (I literally cried after every appointment); I had males with my son and LOVED them and felt much more relaxed and a lot less judged

  2. Trust your instincts, mama! And I would totally be looking for a new doctor, too, if that was the reaction I got. Hang in there and she’ll be there when she chooses–that doctor is nuts…Good luck!

  3. I am happy for you and the decision you made. I had made the same decision. I had an amazing doctor, but I had a condition called placenta previa that is known to never go away. With that I was told I needed a C-Section, come to find out it DID go away and I didn’t get one. I’m GLAD I didn’t allow them to take my baby almost 6 weeks early. My gut told me not to do it. Worst case was I would need an emergency C-section if I went into labor. I did go into labor on the DAY I WAS DUE and she came out in 2 minutes after 3 pushes, all natural not a drop of anything, and I went home that same day. FOLLOW your gut. I’m rooting for you. Hugs. enjoy your new home!

  4. I am so happy to hear your trusting your instincts! If you are looking for a second opinion a midwife would be perfect for you. Right now pregnant with my fourth I see a midwife, the first time ever.. & WOW.. What a difference from an OB! It will all work out!! 🙂

  5. That’s great news! I’ll be interested to hear what a different OB says–hopefully you were able to get some good referrals. I live in Connecticut, near Danbury, so if you’re looking for another referral you can e-mail me–I know a lot of moms, so I’m sure someone will have a great doc to recommend. It’s too bad that some doctors don’t see the value in alternative approaches like chiropractic and acupuncture. All these approaches can complement each other, and it would be great if different types of practitioners were able to work together to offer more holistic care. My first pregnancy I was living in Arizona, and in my midwife’s office she also had a massage therapist and chiropractor so that the pregnant mom’s could get services on the same day as their prenatal appointments. It was so nice! Good luck mama, you seem like you have a lot of support and I’m sure you’ll have a beautiful birth!

  6. Melissa says:

    I’m happy that you’re doing what you feel comfortable with. Best of luck, I hope you get the birth you want and have a very healthy baby!

  7. Melissa says:

    Also, if you don’t feel like your doctor respects you and your decisions, you should absolutley be looking for a new doctor. Every woman deserves a doctor who will work to make you comfortable and happy with your birth. How are you supposed to put yourself and baby in the hands of someone who laughs at you? I chose c-section and it is a very important and hard decision to make. I can’t imagine making that decision with a doctor who I didn’t have a mutual trust and respect with.

    Anyway… You’re doing a great job and have tons of people supporting you!

  8. Glad You’ve come to that decision. I’m pretty sure that would have been the one I made if Luke stayed breech. And agree with all the commenters – if my doc laughe at me is ditch them.

  9. It’s so inspiring to hear about how you are going with your gut and making the decision that you think is best for you and your baby. I am 38 weeks pregnant with my first and very set on a natural no intervention birth. Reading your post definitely gives me confidence to push for what I think is right. The nurse that led my childbirth class talked about Moxibustion as a natural treatment for breech babies. According to her it has an insane success rate (at least the place near me here in VA). Not sure how hard it is to find someone who does this. Here is a link I found that talks a little about it. http://www.birthinbalance.com.au/pages/Moxibustion-for-Breech-Babies.html

    Good Luck!

  10. You should definitely find a new OB. I have never had a female OB that I liked. They always seem to turn me off. I agree with you about the c-section. I went through labor with both and then had c-sections. I feel that I did everything that I could to have a natural birth (no drugs until I was on the c-section table both times). The cards just didn’t go as planned for me 🙂 If you have no choice after trying to have a vaginal birth and then have to have a c-section you will probably feel much better about it. I know you must be so excited to meet your new little one!

  11. Someone I follow on Twitter retweeted your post. Good for you for not being pushed by this new OB! There is no reason to believe a c-section is necessary at this point. Baby only needs to get in position on her birthday.

  12. aCourtney says:

    My daughter was transverse the whole pregnancy. She never budged, ever. I went to the chiropractor and stalked spinningbabies.com hourly and tried everything. Nothing worked. If I were to have gone into labor they would have had to rush me in for a C section anyway. I scheduled my C for as late as I could and I tried everything I could, out side of the hospital flipping her for me (no thanks). This time I am seeing my chiro sooner and working on getting my second to flip out of breech to avoid another C section. I want a natural birth like my body is supposed to do but at the same time I do not want to be rushed in to the OR cut open and traumatize my body and baby again. A scheduled C is better then an emergency C. I hope that you are able to have your birth without a C like you wish. I left my OB at 35 weeks for laughing at me for asking about water births. He said mammals do not go into the water to have babies so humans should not either. I never went back after that. I have a midwife this time and have been looking into different doulas so I have enough people on my side as I can find. Good luck!

  13. Hannah D says:

    Good for you on trusting your instincts. A c-section was the last thing I wanted with DD. But I was gestational diabetic and being monitored weekly. At 36wks, she was breech, I had a couple contractions while being monitored and her heart rate dropped. So c-section it was. Thankfully, my recovery was very easy and not at all what I had feared. Went home after 2 days and was out shopping a week after she was born. I’m currently due with #2 in Oct and there is only one Dr in town that will even consider letting a woman VBAC. My Dr is not willing to do that. I’ve stuck with her because we were supposed to be moving next month. Those plans have changed and it’s very likely I will deliver before moving. So this week, I will be contacting my insurance to switch from being seen in town by civilian Dr to being seeing at the nearby Army hospital, since they will allow you to attempt VBAC. I hope you find a new wonderful Dr who is willing to follow your wishes.

Speak Your Mind

*

CommentLuv badge