Best Ever Zucchini Fries
Now that our weekly farmer’s market is in full swing, I’m making a best effort to get my kids to eat more veggies. They have such strange quirks with veggies like they will eat raw broccoli, raw carrots, but neither one cooked, cucumbers and corn on the cob. So, we eat a lot of raw veg, but sometimes you can’t really eat a veggie raw and I don’t want to limit our diets to just a few. 🙂
I really love zucchini but typically I often make it the same way, diced up and fried in a pan with a little dash of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Its quick and always delicious. The kids won’t touch it.
I get the whole veggie aversion with kids, because I remember not eating many veggies either. I don’t think I touched a tomato until I was in high school, but now I love them chopped up with some fresh cucumber and a splash of Italian dressing. Its one of my favorite snacks!
I thought experimenting with a few veggies by making them into *fries* would peek the kids interest and maybe *gasp* get them to eat a new veg or a cooked veg.
I see so many recipes for sweet potato chips or fries, carrot fries and zucchini fries that I knew I had to try at least one. So zucchini was first up. This recipe was easy, involved little prep, the kids can help, and cooks quickly.
- 2 medium zucchini
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- dash of salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon Mrs. Dash Italian Medley Seasoning Blend
- dash of garlic powder
- extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Cut zucchini lengthwise into fries.
- In a separate bowl, combine parmesan, Mrs. Dash, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Drizzle olive oil over zucchini and toss the zucchini fries in the seasoning mixture. *Best to do each zucchini fry one at a time.*
- Place the fries on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes then broil until golden brown.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt while still hot.
Feel free to choose the seasoning spices of your choice. I have a thing for Mrs. Dash seasoning blends. They are all so so good! This is a great snack on its own or a great alternative side dish to your weeknight meal. I’d love for you to try it. I guarantee your kids will like it and it will be one hundred times better than any tater tot or frozen french fry. You can still dip it in ketchup if you like! Enjoy!