The BEST Grilled Chicken Recipe!
This past weekend I decided to do something a bit different then my *typical* grilled chicken. I love to use the grill whenever I can because it creates such a great flavor, I can watch the kids play outside while I cook, I don’t have to make a mess of the stove, and due to the winter weather here, its a summer-only type of cooking. I take advantage every day that I can.
I had bought a few whole chickens since they were on sale this week. They freeze well, uncooked, and are a great item to stock up on especially with the colder months coming and all the soups, stews, and oven roasted chicken recipes on the horizon.
I started by quickly glancing through one of my favorite cookbooks for some inspiration, Weber’s Way To Grill. I love my cast iron skillet and TJ and I bought if for camping trips back up in Maine several years before we were even married. That skillet has travelled all over and I use it almost daily! It was $12! I have pans that are over $100 but often grab for my beloved $12 skillet! LOL!
Anyway, I found a recipe that mentioned cooking the whole chicken under the cast iron skillet. It mentioned using different ingredients than I had so I improvised using fresh herbs from my garden, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. I made a little marinade, followed the directions on how to get the chicken ready for the grill and that was it! It was so juicy and delicious and gave me leftovers for the chicken soup I made for my sick family on Tuesday. It only took about an hour to cook too. My chicken was about 5 pounds.
- One bunch of fresh thyme, chopped
- ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves of minced fresh garlic
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium-low heat. In a small bowl, mix the thyme, olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Prep the chicken by removing the innards, and then start to butterfly the chicken. You can watch a YouTube clip or google that if you need detailed instructions.
- Rub chicken with marinade; both sides.
- Place the chicken inside a bowl or baking pan and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- Tuck wings slightly under breast. Place chicken, skin side down, over direct medium-low heat, set skillet on top, and grill, covered, until skin is golden and crisp, 25–30 minutes. Using potholders remove skillet; turn chicken, skin side up. Replace skillet and continue grilling until chicken is cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of thigh registers 165°, 25–30 minutes longer.
- Remove from the grill and let rest for 3-5 minutes.
I hope you try this recipe out. Its sure to be delicious! And if you are looking for other grilled chicken recipe, I also make a beer can chicken that is equally amazing! Don’t make just one of those, make TWO!