Paleo Whole 30 Easy Stuffed Peppers
Yesterday I planned on doing my big grocery shopping haul for the week. We have a busy weekend coming up and bad weather was in the forecast for today.
I dread grocery shopping. I know I’m probably NOT alone with that feeling. I spend a lot of time at the market and whether kids are in tow or I’m shopping solo I dread it. Deciding what food to buy for five people isn’t easy. I’ve tried meal planning. I’ve tried eating the same meals five days a week to cut out guesswork and cut down cost. I’ve gone to the market with no plans and that never ends well.
Plus, after Whole 30 in January, I feel like I’m in a cooking rut. There is so much prep and cooking involved with Whole 30 I din’t feel much like cooking at all!
So I went to the market yesterday with Valentina. Anthony and Gabriella had school and like I said I just needed to get the grocery shopping done and over with. I had no plans for meals. I had sent T.J. a text message earlier in the morning and asked if he had any cravings for dinner. He said to grab a rotisserie chicken, roast some veggies and make brown rice. UGH. Not at all what I was hoping for when asking for dinner suggestions.
As I started walking through the produce section and picking up my regular items I noticed a beautiful package of organic bell peppers. One red, one yellow and one orange pepper. I immediately thought stuffed peppers. I use to have stuffed peppers in my dinner rotation at least once a month, but I cannot even tell you the last time I made any.
Suddenly I felt inspired to cook. So weird. I don’t know why I forgot about making stuffed peppers. The recipe is so easy, can be switched up into a variety of mix-ins and is ready in 30-45 minutes! Leave out the grain if you are on Whole 30 and make sure you use a pasta sauce with no sugar added or use your own homemade. A 9″ x 13″ glass baking pan seems to fit the six pepper halves perfectly and is easy for reheating in the oven or melting the cheese under the broiler.
- 3 large bell peppers, washed and sliced in half
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of fresh baby spinach, washed
- 1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce
- 1.5 cups cooked quinoa or brown rice
- 1 pound of ground chicken
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Place the halved peppers in a microwave safe dish cut side up in an even layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook in the microwave until softened 5-7 minutes.
- While the peppers cook, preheat a skillet with the olive oil. Add the chicken, garlic and onion and cook on medium heat until chicken is cooked through and onions and garlic are softened. Add a dash of salt and pepper and the Italian seasoning.
- Add the pasta sauce to the pan with the cooked rice or quinoa and spinach and simmer 7-10 minutes until all is heated through and the spinach is wilted.
- Once the filling is heated through and the peppers are cooked you can scoop the filling into the peppers. This should make more than enough filling to fill three large peppers or 6 halves.
- Once you fill the peppers you can sprinkle cheese on top to serve. You can pop this all into the broiler to quickly melt the cheese. This is optional but so delicious!