A Clean House is Important for More Reasons Than One
Disclosure: This is a partnered post.
Let’s be honest, cleaning the house isn’t anyone’s idea of a good time. In fact, depending on the size of your house, how much stuff you have, how many people live with you, and the age of those occupants, keeping the home tidy is a lot of work. As much as you loathe the idea of sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, scrubbing, and dusting, having a clean home is essential to you and your loved ones.
Consequences of Not Cleaning
A little clutter here and there is common especially if you have a hectic schedule or live with younger children, but if you don’t maintain the cleanliness of your home it can have a negative impact on your house, health, and finances.
- Buildup of Germs and Bacteria – Environments that are not kept clean can eventually lead to illness. Germs and bacteria are everywhere in the home, and when they’re not dealt with it can start to build up and weaken the immune system. This could mean that you’re sick a lot more often than usual.
- Poor Air Quality – The air in your home may be a lot safer than the air you breathe outside, but it still needs to be purified on occasion. When mildew, mold, pet dander, and dust is allowed to accumulate, it decreases the air quality and can trigger medical problems for those who suffer from asthma or allergies.
- Pest Infestations – An unkempt home will eventually become a fortress for pests of all kinds. When pests settle in and find things they like (dirt, clutter, food, grease, etc), they tend to want to stay for good. Pests like mice and termites can cause serious structural damage while roaches and bed bugs are known for carrying diseases. You’ll need to hire an exterminator in Nashville or areas close to you to remedy this massive mess.
- Increased Stress – Coming home to a place that’s dirty is very stressful. The piles of clutter and disorganization take away from the aesthetic appeal of the home and instead point out all the problems. The sight of an unclean home can be enough to make you feel anxious, stressed, or depressed.
- Wastes Time – Ever try to look for something important when the house is a mess? Chances are you became frustrated and wasted a lot of time covering unnecessary territory in your search.
Keeping Things Tidy
A dirty house is more than just embarrassing, as you can see from above, it can have a negative impact on your health as well. Even though you fret sacrificing a Saturday morning to take care of things around the house, it’s a lot better than dealing with the consequences listed above. Here, are a few suggestions on how to keep your home tidy.
- One Room at a Time – Thinking about cleaning your house from top to bottom is intimidating. It can even push you to put off cleaning. The best way to deal with this is to focus on one room at a time. By starting in the common areas like the kitchen, bathroom, and living room, and then focusing on personalized areas like the home office and bedrooms, you are less inclined to become discouraged by what needs to be done.
- Purge Annually – For some people, the issue with keeping the home clutter-free and organized is that they simply have too many things. At least once a year, it’s a good idea to purge your belongings. Getting rid of things you no longer use or need frees up space that can help make your home look a lot cleaner.
- Enlist Help – Chances are you aren’t the only one who lives in your home, so ask the rest of the family to pitch in. When working as a team cleaning an entire house goes a lot faster. For jobs that are more tedious, like deep cleaning a carpet, cleaning the gutters, or throwing out piles of junk from a basement or attic, you can hire contractors to help with these tasks.
House cleaning chores are a nightmare for everyone, but they are also very essential. When your house is clean you and your family are happier and healthier. If you’ve been putting cleaning tasks on the back burner, consider using some of the advice above to make things easier. Work one room at a time, ask for help, and when necessary hire contractors to help you out.