Grand Opening of Thomas Land, Edaville USA // Carver, MA
TODAY everyone’s favorite #1 blue engine and the Island of Sodor will come to life at Thomas Land™ at Edaville USA. Mattel has teamed up with Edaville USA, a family amusement park and heritage railroad located in South Carver, MA, to open Thomas Land, the largest permanent Thomas & Friends® attraction in North America. Tickets to Thomas Land™ theme park are available at Edaville.com/ThomasLand. Tickets are $29 per person for ages 3 and up.
Thomas Land™ is set in the lush New England landscape of Edaville USA, covering 11.5 acres and boasts 11 rides based on Thomas & Friends and the Island of Sodor. Attractions at Thomas Land will feature a 20-minute long scenic train ride on a life-sized Thomas the Tank Engine™ replica, and theme park favorites including a roller coaster, drop tower, Ferris wheel and much more.
All of the rides and attractions will feature beloved characters from Thomas & Friends such as Thomas, Percy, Diesel, Toby, Cranky the Crane, Harold the Helicopter, and more favorites. Guests can visit familiar destinations around the Island of Sodor like Tidmouth Sheds, Knapford Station, and Brendam Docks. Sir Topham Hatt, Controller of the Railway on the Island of Sodor, will be on site to greet and take photos with guests. Specific attractions include:
- Thomas the Tank Engine: Take a ride on Thomas the Tank Engine around the perimeter of Edaville USA and enjoy the beautiful views.
- Bertie’s Bus Tours: Hop aboard Bertie’s Bus Tours and buckle up! Enjoy a whirl-around up to 28 feet high and feel like you can touch the sky.
- Cranky’s Crane Drop: Strap in tight for a truly Cranky experience. The ride up might be smooth, but as you near the ground, get ready to bounce up and down!
- Diesel Derby: Hop on board these Diesel trains and enjoy a ride with the entire family. Venture around a 400-foot long track and never look back!
- Firefighting Flynn: Calling all junior firefighters! Jump into Flynn’s basket and help him put out the fire by shooting water to extinguish the flames in this fun interactive ride.
- Harold’s Lift-Off: Have you ever wanted to pilot a helicopter? Here’s your chance! Kids can take control by lifting the handles in each car up and down while spinning round and round.
- Rockin’ Bulstrode: This tug boat is like no other. When Bulstrode sails back and forth, watch out: he’ll whirl you around in circles without a doubt!
- Sodor’s Cranberry Carousel: Here’s your chance to ride in a cargo train! Strap yourself in for this fun carousel-style train ride. Is it a merry go round or a train ride?
- Sodor Windmill: Jump into one of the baskets and enjoy a Ferris Wheel ride on this whimsical Windmill!
- Toby’s Tilting Tracks: Jump in, buckle up, and hold on tight! Join Toby for one wild ride as he rocks you around with a unique spinning and tilting motion.
- Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster: All aboard for thrills! Jump on the Troublesome Trucks for a speedy roller coaster ride and hold on tight—there are lots of slopes and turns!
Thomas Land at Edaville USA welcomes visitors for the first time as part of Thomas & Friends’ 70th anniversary global celebration in 2015, and Edaville’s 70th anniversary. The grand opening of Thomas Land continues a year of celebration for Thomas & Friends in 2015 as the brand celebrates its 70th anniversary with new content, partnerships and activations around the globe.
There are currently two other Thomas Lands in operation worldwide. The first was opened in 1998 at Fujikyu Highland amusement park in Japan, 90 minutes from Tokyo. The second Thomas Land, and Europe’s first, was opened in 2008 at Drayton Manor Theme Park in the UK. Together, both parks attract nearly 3 million visitors each year.
Edaville USA is a family amusement center entertaining families for 70 years. Owner Jon Delli Priscoli purchased Edaville and its 250 acres in 2002. There have been many exciting updates under his ownership including the reconfiguration of the entire narrow gauge rail course and the incorporation of vintage amusement rides such as an antique carousel and an illuminated Ferris wheel. Other attractions throughout the year include, the National Cranberry Festival, which features a train ride through the fall cranberry harvest, and the Christmas Festival of Lights offering rides through brilliantly lit displays in the winter. Thomas Land will be Delli Priscoli’s biggest undertaking at Edaville to date.