Summer Day Trip Check List
This summer we have taken several day trips between New Jersey and Rhode Island. Between those two spots lives most of our family. Luckily for us, living in Connecticut has put us in the middle of both spots and a short two hour car ride either way. I say its a short car ride, because realisticly it is, if you are traveling alone…without small children. I kid!
I think I’ve become an expert packer for these one day trips. I remember when I had just the one kid I was the first-time-parent-over-packer. Man, I have learned to scale it back, keep it simple, and light.
For five people I can have us packed up in about an hour. Its not a race, but I just know what I need and can get it together fairly quickly. First, I have these great big bags from LL Bean. These bags are SO durable, made in Maine and have a lifetime guarantee. I have extra large size, zip top for each kid *monogramed*, but for a day trip one is big enough to fit everything for all three.
So what is in the bag?
- Diapers (including swim diapers), wipes, and diaper cream.
- Extra undies for my oldest.
- Beach Towels – I also have one of these for each of us. Each person has a different pattern and a monogram. 🙂 These towels are HUGE and I love the durability and how quick they dry. They also don’t fade in color.
- Change of clothes for each kid. You just never know.
- Bathing suits
- Pajamas. This is so important for us. I usually bath the kids after dinner and put them into their pj’s before we leave. They always fall asleep in the car and that way when we get home I can put them right into bed.
- Toys for the baby
- Small first aid kit
- Toiletries, toothbrushes, toothpaste, hairbrush, shampoo, conditioner
- Change of clothes for mom and dad.
- Playmat for the baby
I also pack a second smaller bag with snacks, drinks, bottles, and baby food items. We usually eat our meals out or at our families house but I always have a snack bag. I can’t even go down the street without snacks and drinks.
This isn’t a beach bag, which I would pack very differently, but a day trip bag. We are usually visiting family so the kids would swim in a pool or run through a sprinkler to cool off.
I always pack the high chairs for my two year old and 8 month old. I have a Mamas and Papas, a Fisher Price and a Chicco clip on high chair that are always great for travel because of how compact they are.
Did I miss anything? How do you pack for a day trip?