Discover Newport – Newport Winter Festival Beginning this Weekend!
Disclosure: I received admission in exchange for my review. All opinions are mine alone.
Visit Newport this weekend, Feb. 13 or 14, to enjoy some winter family fun! It is the start of the Newport Winter Festival which includes more than 150 events over 10 days!
Below are just a few highlights of exciting things to do—choose your own adventure!
- The Breakers (1895), The Elms (1901) and Marble House (1892) are open daily for tours. Kids love the family audio tour at The Breakers where they receive their own headset and can listen to tales of what it was like to live in the mansion back during the Gilded Age.
- The all new museum at the International Tennis Hall of Fame features interactive exhibits kids love including “Call the Match,” where you can record yourself taking on the role of tennis match broadcasters. Another highlight is the holographic theatre where you feel as though you are having a conversation with Roger Federer. A touch table, similar to a giant iPad, lets kids ‘serve’ tennis trivia questions back and forth.
- The Newport Art Museum will be hosting their “Second Saturdays” on Feb. 12. The theme is Celebrate Lunar New Year-The Year of the Monkey! Learn about the animals of the Lunar calendar and their mythical personalities, and listen to Lunar New Year stories while making your own traditional paper lantern (storytelling at 10:15am, lantern-making ongoing, family friendly museum tour 11:45am). Admission is free to Second Saturdays (donations welcome) but registration is requested so they can plan accordingly.
- The Save the Bay Exploration Center & Aquarium at Easton’s Beach is an interactive marine science learning center housing more than 30 exhibits and hundreds of creatures that call Narragansett Bay home including Smooth Dogfish Sharks, Little Skates and Chain Catsharks. Kids can dip their hands into the touch tanks too! Children also enjoy the interactive activities and crafts. (The center is not part of the VIP card program. Admission: $8, Seniors and Military ID $7, Save The Bay members and children under 3 are FREE)
- Check out the downtown outdoor Newport Skating Center–its a ton of fun!
There are some fantastic Newport Winter Festival events on Saturday and Sunday. Some highlights include seal watching cruises, ice sculpting competition, the annual chili cook-off, wine tastings, mother daughter makeovers, a children’s fair, chocolate making class and more. Click here for a calendar (click on CALENDAR to access Sunday’s line up as well in addition to the other dates). If you plan on heading to Newport, we can look to secure you the Winter Festival wristbands which offer ticket and restaurant discounts.