Easy and Delicious Apple Crisp Recipe
Happy Monday guys! Hope you had a nice weekend!
We went apple picking last weekend at one of our favorite local orchards, Beardsley, on a super cool and crisp Fall-like day. Glad we did, because this weekend is just like summer all over again! Too bad all the pools are closed.
We picked a TON of apples. I don’t remember the weight of it all, but each kid had their own large bag. I was excited to see good fruit on the trees this year because last year when we went to pick we came home empty handed. We picked Gala apples as they were the first ready to pick along with Honeycrisp but unfortunately those had already been totally picked over the day before! We also grabbed a half dozen of apple cider donuts and a half gallon of apple cider on our way out.
Fall is hands down my favorite season. The air is still slightly warm, but also cool enough that you aren’t sweating. I love to layer up my clothing and feel cozy and sleep with the windows open on cool Fall nights. First day of Fall is officially this coming Saturday the 22nd! It is such a short season but so full of seasonal fun like jumping into leave piles, hayrides, pumpkin picking, cozy cardigans and all things apple and pumpkin flavored. I couldn’t resist, even with the warmer temperatures, to whip up a batch of APPLE CRISP!
I’ve made apple crisp 100 times in 100 variations, but the recipe I threw together this time I have to share! It is SO GOOD and gluten free. You can buy my Le Creuset Oval Stoneware Baking Dish here. (affiliate link) I use it all the time and also have it in a square version. I have grown quite a collection from this brand over the years and I love how they hold heat and are beautiful to serve from oven to table.
- 8 cups peeled, chopped apples, I used Gala.
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup gluten free quick cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- ¼ cup chopped unsalted cashews
- splash of fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Prep your 8x8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or butter. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, carefully mix the chopped apples, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, splash of lemon juice, tablespoon of sugar and ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Set all the ingredients into your prepared baking dish.
- To make the topping - mix the unsalted butter, chia seeds, cashews, oats, and brown sugar with your hands or a pastry blender. Sprinkle the topping over your apples.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until apples are tender and bubbling. Serve warm, room temperature or chilled!
Let me know if you try this recipe! Is apple crisp something that is a Fall family favorite? We are planning on another round of apple picking next weekend. I want to grab the Macintosh and HoneyCrisp and maybe some Pink Lady’s. What is your favorite variety of apple? I pretty much love them all!